Re: Syslog line wrapping

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Evan Rempel <erempel(at)uvic(dot)ca>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Syslog line wrapping
Date: 2010-09-24 04:21:32
Lists: pgsql-admin

Evan Rempel <erempel(at)uvic(dot)ca> writes:
> I am running Postgresql 8.3 and would like to get postgres to
> NOT wrap the syslog lines. Is ther any configuration to do this.
> Perhaps I can wrap them at a very large line number?

The problem we're up against is explained in src/backend/utils/error/elog.c:

* Our problem here is that many syslog implementations don't handle long
* messages in an acceptable manner. While this function doesn't help that
* fact, it does work around by splitting up messages into smaller pieces.

If you are fortunate enough to have a less-broken-than-average syslog
facility, you could increase the PG_SYSLOG_LIMIT constant defined there.
On the whole, though, I'd suggest not depending on syslog. It has
other issues besides this one, like sometimes losing messages entirely.