Re: lc_time and localized dates

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
Cc: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: lc_time and localized dates
Date: 2008-02-26 18:47:16
Lists: pgsql-patches
Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com> writes:
> FYI, strftime() [1] doesn't say anything about capitalization. I don't
> know if some translators are aware of it and even if they are, how would
> they know that a day or month is the first word of a sentence? IMHO we
> should provide Xxxxx, xxxxx, and XXXXX so the programmer can use
> whatever he/she thinks is correct for him/her.

I think you've missed the point, which is that the programmer can't
possibly know in advance which capitalization is correct, if she's
trying to build a system that works for different localizations.

But as Peter remarks nearby, this discussion is wasted anyway, because
there is only one correct answer: whatever Oracle does with these
cases is what to_char() should do.