Re: set_ps_display during recovery

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: set_ps_display during recovery
Date: 2007-09-30 15:16:15
Lists: pgsql-patches
> On Sun, 2007-09-30 at 10:28 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Perhaps "fetching XXX" vs "restoring XXX"?

> Not sure if I read you right, so one more time for clarity:

> IMHO wording should be
>   "restoring  X" before we send to archive to get file (archive only)
>   "recovering X" once we have the file (archive or not)

Those two words seem close enough in meaning that most admins wouldn't
be clear on the difference.  I like "fetching" or "retrieving" for
the activity of getting a WAL segment from an archive, because in cases
where the activity takes long enough to be noticeable, it's probably
because you are physically getting the file from someplace else.
In the specific context of a warm standby machine, "waiting for" would
be the bon mot, but that would probably be inappropriate for other

As for the second-phase activity, "recovering" is fine, or maybe