Start up error

From: "Hussain Jawad-FXRM43" <FXRM43(at)motorola(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Start up error
Date: 2007-11-17 00:19:37
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hello Sir,

I have installed postgresql DB on my Linux server.

When I am trying to stop and start the DB, below error is reported in
postgresql start up log file.

FATAL: lock file "postmaster.pid" already exists
HINT: Is another postmaster (PID 25372) running in data directory
"/var/lib/pgsql/data"?
FATAL: lock file "postmaster.pid" already exists
HINT: Is another postmaster (PID 25372) running in data directory
"/var/lib/pgsql/data"?

I have deleted the file postmaster.pid in the directory
/var/lib/pgsql/data for number of times and restarted the postgresql
service, but I am still not able to restart the server and the same
error is repeating again.

Could you please suggest on this as the applications are completely
inaccessible due to this error.

Thanks&Regards,
-Jawad.