Continuing issues... Can't vacuum!

From: Carol Walter <walterc(at)indiana(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Continuing issues... Can't vacuum!
Date: 2008-05-23 17:54:02
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hello,

I posted yesterday about a corrupt index.  I'm continuing to
experience problems.  I know that part of my problem is that the
databases have not been vacuumed as they should have been.  I've
tried to vacuum them but it's not working.  The message I'm getting
is as follows:

vacuumdb: vacuuming database "km"
NOTICE:  number of page slots needed (2275712) exceeds max_fsm_pages
(200000)
HINT:  Consider increasing the configuration parameter
"max_fsm_pages" to a value over 2275712.

The problem is I've found the max_fsm_pages parameter in the
postgresql.conf file, but changing it doesn't seem to be having any
effect.  So I'm going to ask some questions that are probably pretty
silly, but I hope you'll help me.  First of all, perhaps the
postgresql.conf file that I am editing may not be the one that is
being read when the database server starts.  There are several
postgresql.conf files on this system.  How do I tell which one is the
one being read?

The max_fsm_pages parameter says what the minimum setting is in the
file.  Is there also a maximum?

I can't back up my database with the error right now, because of the
error.  I have a backup but I'm afraid to restore it.  I feel like I
have many indices that are bloated and I want to get the databases
vacuumed before I start trying to create and load a new database.
I'm concerned that there won't be enough index space for the system
to  sort and copy the indices.

Please, help.

Carol

pgsql-admin by date