Re: function body actors (was: [PERFORM] viewing source code)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Trevor Talbot" <quension(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Roberts, Jon" <Jon(dot)Roberts(at)asurion(dot)com>, "Kris Jurka" <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Bill Moran" <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>, "Pgsql Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: function body actors (was: [PERFORM] viewing source code)
Date: 2007-12-21 16:18:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

"Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On 21/12/2007, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> ... The real issue as I see it is where to
>> keep the key. How did you handle that?

> Simply. I use for password some random plpgsql message text and
> compile it. I though about GUC, and about storing password in
> postgresql.conf. It's equal to protection level. We cannot protect
> code on 100%. If you have admin or superuser account and if you know
> some internal, you can simply get code.

Yeah. There is no defense against someone who is prepared to go in
there with a debugger and pull the post-decryption code out of memory.
So what we need to think about is what sorts of threats we *can* or
should defend against. A couple of goals that seem like they might
be reasonable are:

* Even a superuser can't get the code at the SQL level, ie, it's
secure if you rule out debugger-level attacks. (For example, this
might prevent someone who had remotely breached the superuser account
from getting the code.)

* Code not available if you just look at what's on-disk, ie, you can't
get it by stealing a backup tape.

Any other threats we could consider defending against?

BTW, this thread definitely doesn't belong on -performance anymore.