Re: Changing the Primary Key Column

From: Brent Dombrowski <brent(dot)dombrowski(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
Cc: pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Changing the Primary Key Column
Date: 2011-02-24 15:21:27
Lists: pdxpug
On Feb 24, 2011, at 6:20 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:

>> That doesn't make sense. Paste your output please.
>
> nevada-# alter table water_well drop constraint 'not null'
> nevada-# alter table water_well drop column 'sequence_no'
> nevada-# alter table water_well add primary key 'well_log'
> nevada-# commit;
> ERROR:  syntax error at or near "alter"
> LINE 2: alter table water_well drop constraint 'not null'
>        ^
> nevada=#

'not null' is a column constraint, not the table constraint. Look for the table constraint at the bottom of the table description. It will likely be something like table_pkey. Here is a sample from a test database I have:

           Table "public.person"
 Column |         Type          | Modifiers
--------+-----------------------+-----------
 id     | integer               | not null
 ssn    | integer               |
 name   | character varying(32) |
 phone  | character(12)         |
    "person_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (id)

test=# alter table person drop constraint "person_pkey";
ALTER TABLE
test=# \d person
           Table "public.person"
 Column |         Type          | Modifiers
 id     | integer               | not null
 ssn    | integer               |
 name   | character varying(32) |
 phone  | character(12)         |

Brent.