Re: [HACKERS] interesting observatation regarding views and V7.0

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] interesting observatation regarding views and V7.0
Date: 2000-02-23 22:54:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com> writes:
> The creation of column aliases for tables referenced by views causes
> the rule created on the underlying virtual table to be in some cases
> considerably longer than the corresponding rule in V6.5.
> In practice, this means that several of the views used in the web
> toolkit I'm porting no longer can be created.

Yes, this is exactly the concern I raised last week. Thomas didn't
seem to be very worried about the issue, but when he gets back from
his vacation we can lean on him to fix it.

Something else we might consider as a stopgap is to resurrect the
"compressed text" datatype that Jan wrote, and then removed in
anticipation of having TOAST. Jan was concerned about creating
future compatibility problems by having a datatype with only a
one-release-cycle expected lifetime ... but I think it might be
OK to use it just internally for rules.