32-bit ODBC Linked Server from 64 bit SQL Server

From: "Jeff Crumbley" <jeffc(at)iilogistics(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: 32-bit ODBC Linked Server from 64 bit SQL Server
Date: 2008-04-18 20:15:31
Lists: pgsql-odbc
Hello,

I have successfully created a linked server in my 32 bit test
environment using Windows 2003 R2 server to Postgres on SCO Unix.  I can
query Postgres and run stored procedures from SQL Server and return
information from Postgres with no problems.   Where I have encountered
issues is that my production environment is 64 bit Windows 2003 R2 and
64 bit SQL Server 2005.  The issue is that even though I can install and
configure the 32 bit version of the ODBC driver, the 64 bit version of
SQL Server will not recognize the 32 bit ODBC driver.  This makes it so
I cannot create a linked server in SQL Server using this ODBC driver and
hence run stored procedures that pull data from Postgres.

I don't want to downgrade a production machine (because it won't be
easy) and it seems like such an easy fix.  The pieces are there they
just won't talk.  Does anyone know of a 64 bit Postgres driver (and
possibly how to configure it) or have any other ideas on how to resolve
this?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff Crumbley

pgsql-odbc by date