Re: Re: Sure enough, the lock file is gone

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: Trond Eivind Glomsrød <teg(at)redhat(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Florent Guillaume <efgeor(at)noos(dot)fr>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Sure enough, the lock file is gone
Date: 2001-01-28 22:53:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org> writes:
> I have another question of Peter, Tom, Bruce, or anyone -- is the
> hard-coded socket location in libpq?  If so, wouldn't a dynamically
> loaded libpq.so bring this location in for _any_ precompiled, not
> statically-linked, client?  Or am I missing something else?

As the 7.1 code presently stands, libpq contains a compiled-in default
socketfile location, which the client code hopefully doesn't know about.
So, yes, if an old client has a dynamically linked libpq.so then
replacing the .so would bring that client into sync with a nonstandard
server.  However, the pitfalls should be obvious: independently built
clients, statically linked libraries, differing .so version numbers
to name three risk areas.