Re: Site way slow, please check

From: "Fred Moyer" <fred(at)redhotpenguin(dot)com>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Site way slow, please check
Date: 2005-01-19 18:06:24
Lists: pgsql-www
>> Please check on what could be slamming the servers.   Thanks!
>
> Yup, I'm seeing that as well - judging by a quick ps, it *looks* like
> it's bittorrent that's killing it, along with a fair few hits on the ftp
> server. Unfortunately there's not much I can do as it's in a VM, and
> things like top don't work from there so I can't check properly.
>
> Going on IRC to chat about it I'm told you just went to sleep.... I'll
> do what I can, but I know nothing about BT :-(

For what it's worth (and I'm on the digest list so someone may have
already brought this up), bittorrent is fairly resource intensive and
perhaps it doesn't need to be run on this particular server.  I setup bt
seeds for all the torrents on a box I had last night with a 10 megabit
line, and I'll do the same with my other production box today.  As long as
there's at least one torrent seed going out there, I don't think the
webserver should be seeding torrents.