Re: [HACKERS] EXPLAIN ANALYZE on 8.2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Kelly Burkhart <kelly(dot)burkhart(at)gmail(dot)com>, Evgeny Gridasov <eugrid(at)fpm(dot)kubsu(dot)ru>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] EXPLAIN ANALYZE on 8.2
Date: 2006-12-15 14:56:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

> On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 12:20:46PM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
>> Maybe sampling every 10 rows will bring things down to an acceptable
>> level (after the first N). You tried less than 10 didn't you?

> Yeah, it reduced the number of calls as the count got larger. It broke
> somewhere, though I don't quite remember why.

The fundamental problem with it was the assumption that different
executions of a plan node will have the same timing. That's not true,
in fact not even approximately true. IIRC the patch did realize
that first-time-through is not a predictor for the rest, but some of
our plan nodes have enormous variance even after the first time.
I think the worst case is batched hash joins.