Re: BUG #1208: Invalid page header

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: bruc(at)acm(dot)org
Cc: peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net, pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us,bruc(at)stone(dot)congenomics(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org,hubert(dot)froehlich(at)bvv(dot)bayern(dot)de
Subject: Re: BUG #1208: Invalid page header
Date: 2004-08-17 17:10:11
Lists: pgsql-bugs
"Robert E. Bruccoleri" <bruc(at)stone(dot)congenomics(dot)com> writes:
> 	Besides a no optimization compilation of 7.4.3, what else
> would you recommend to explore this problem further? Thanks. --Bob

I really haven't the foggiest where to look :-(  I don't actually
believe that it's a spinlock problem; that would explain pages getting
substituted for other pages, in whole or in part, but you showed at
least one example where a page was just overwritten with garbage.
That looks more like a memory-stomp problem (again, assuming that it's
software) and so could be anywhere.

Are you using any off-the-beaten-track code (contrib modules,
non-btree indexes, non-mainstream data types)?  That stuff is less
well debugged than the mainstream ...