Re: possible os recommendations

From: "Rainer J(dot) H(dot) Brandt" <rjhb(at)bb-c(dot)de>
To: David(dot)Bear(at)asu(dot)edu
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: possible os recommendations
Date: 2005-05-24 05:57:02
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hello,

> I'm more concerned though about the complete experience, i.e.
> postgresql performance on Linux vs Bsd vs Windows...
> Maintainability.. Stability... os tweeks that were really needed to
> make pg work well, etc.
>
> I would really like to hear from those who have used postgresql on
> multiple operating systems..

I've used PostgreSQL on lots of Unixes.  Most of the advantages and
disadvantages of those are not database-specific.  Here are some
pro's of each of them:

BSDs:  centralized, well-organized code management, code well thought-out
and readable, especially NetBSD.  Good performance and reliability.

Linux:  supports hardware faster, so if you want to play video games
or have rare network cards, use this.

Mac OS:  pleasing user interface, easier administration for
non-technicians, good performance

Solaris:  superior OS architecture and features, esp. in Solaris 10
(unbeatable diagnostics with dtrace/mdb), high degree of automization
(hands-off installation and configuration of everything)

Notice:  BSD, Linux, and Solaris cost nothing.  Mac OS is payware.
Sources are available for BSDs, Linux, Mac OS (the "Unix" subset),
and (within the next 5 weeks) Solaris.

So, if you're a professional, go with NetBSD or Solaris.
If you want a system that your grandparents (may they still be living)
feel comfortable with, take Mac OS X.

Greetings,
Rainer