Fwd: Re: bytea and text

From: Syan Tan <kittylitter(at)people(dot)net(dot)au>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Fwd: Re: bytea and text
Date: 2009-11-29 11:29:51
Lists: pgsql-novice

sorry, just have faulty memory from doing it months ago with both derbydb and
postgresql as
alternative drivers. Derbydb was the one that preferred intermediate files for
bulk loading of
binary stuff as hex I think but there was no delimiters apart from comma for
that , whereas
postgresql allows you to escape every character as a slash followed by 1-3 digit
octal or 1-2 digit hex preceded
by a slash and a x , so that was the point of the question, whether is it better
to be paranoid that a
bulk load is going to fail and escape every character, or can you be optimistic
an just escape
newline carriage return , backslash itself and the current delimiter character ,
but is there an end of file
sequence ? and doing you have to escape the null sequence ? \N if it happens to
occur in your raw binary data.
If a 3 gig bulk load fails because of one character, it's annoying.
I remember doing the same thing as individual pgdb api calls a few years ago,
and having no such problem in python with binary data , or at least you could
fail one image and not have it affect the rest of the rows by having autocommit on.

On Sat 28/11/09 13:19 , Bob McConnell rmcconne(at)lightlink(dot)com sent: