Re: regression database

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: kris pal <kristhegambler(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: regression database
Date: 2004-08-27 03:29:21
Lists: pgsql-admin

kris pal <kristhegambler(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> Actually I just noticed something. Previously for some reason, I
> thought the data directory corresponded to 'regression'. But I double
> checked it now with oid2name and it corresponds to our main database
> say "dds".

Ah, that makes more sense.

> But the issue still remains. In the sense that pg_attribute etc are
> still so huge and I have no idea why.

Probably because you've created and deleted a lot of tables (does your
app use temp tables a lot?). If you aren't good about vacuuming the
system catalogs then you're going to get table bloat. If you're using
something pre-7.4 then you may get index bloat even if you *are*
vacuuming regularly :-(.

My suggestions are to update to 7.4, if you're not there already
(if you are, you may need to do VACUUM FULL and REINDEX to get rid
of the bloat); then adopt a stricter regime of routine vacuuming.
And check your FSM settings.