Re: State of support for back PG branches

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>,Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: State of support for back PG branches
Date: 2005-09-27 00:41:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> Maybe something like this would do: "We will attempt to maintain support
>> of each major version for 3 years after its release, although this will
>> not always be possible. After that time any major support requirement is
>> likely to result in support being ended."

> This sounds reasonable to me ... I think it is more then most software
> projects do, isn't it?

To translate that into reality: 7.2 (2002-02-04) would be dead already,
and 7.3 (2002-11-27) will be dead around the time we are likely to
release 8.1.  Do people feel comfortable with that?  It seems to fit
with what I'd like to do right at the moment, which is to release
updates back to 7.3 but not 7.2.

I'd prefer to measure the time from the release of the follow-on
version, so I'd make it "2 years from release of following major
version"; that would give people a clearer idea of the time frame
in which they're expected to update their applications.  But I'm not
wedded to that.