Re: problems with pgaccess and libpgtcl.dll

From: s0lao(at)netscape(dot)net (S(dot) L(dot))
To: konrad(at)pobox(dot)com (Konrad Hernblad), pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: problems with pgaccess and libpgtcl.dll
Date: 2001-09-25 05:29:06
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Konrad Hernblad <konrad(at)pobox(dot)com> wrote:

>problem
>------
> when i run /cygwin/bin/cygwish80.exe /cygwin/pgaccess/main.tcl, i get the
>following error:
>
> "couldn't load file 'libpgtcl.dll': invalid argument while executing 'load
^^^^^^^^^^^^
(*) ref1
>libpgtcl[info sharedlibextension]'
> (procedure 'main') line 3) invoked from within 'main $argc $argv' (file
>'main.tcl' line 249)"
>

>environment
>----------
> cygwin: 1.33
> postgres 7.1.3
> os: windows2000 professional
> pgaccess: 0.98.7
> tcl/tk 8.3.3
>

>directory structure
>----------------
> cygwin -> c:\cygwin
> pgaccess -> c:\cygwin\pgaccess
> tcl/tk -> c:\cygwin\tcl
>

>steps taken
>---------
>i d/led pgaccess from http://ns.flex.ro/pgaccess/, as explained on
>http://ns.flex.ro/pgaccess/win32.html.
>
>i also d/led tcl/tk8.3.3 from http://ns.flex.ro/pgaccess/win32.html.
>
>i put uncompressed the d/ls as below:
> pgaccess -> /cygwin/pgaccess
> tcl/tk -> /cygwin/tcl
>
>i renamed the pgaccess win32 .dlls (located in /pgaccess/win32/dll/) as follows:
> libpgtcl83.dll-7.0 -> libpgtcl83.dll
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
As related with (*)ref1 above that (libpgtcl.dll) is the name postgres is looking for when main.tcl tries to start. A "ln -s <path_to>/libpgtcl83.dll <path_to>/libpgtcl.dll" should fix the problem.
But there's another problem you could encounter: the presence of 2 libpq.dll, so you must take care of the PATH variable when attempting to start pgaccess/main.tcl, which should point to libpq you've d/led with libpgtcl.
Also a trick you should use when starting using wish is the HOME variable: cygwish (a mingw32 app.) needs a DOS-like path i.e. not /home/username but c:/cygwin/home/username.

> libpq.dll-7.0 -> libpq.dll
>and moved the renamed files to c:\winnt\system32.
>
>i then added "tcl/bin" and "/pgaccess" to my PATH env.
>
>the /pgaccess/pgaccess file didn't seem to be working correctly (after
>having changed PATH_TO_WISH env to cygwin's /bin dir and PGACCESS_HOME env
>to /pgaccess, it said that it couldn't find main.tcl).
>
>when i tried running the below command at the cygwin prompt, i got the
>"couldn't load file..."error message listed above.
> /cygwin/cygwin80.exe /pgaccess/main.tcl
>

>any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

>TERRORIST ATTACK ON AMERICA (tues, sept 11, 2001)
>
>Information and Disaster Relief Resources
>http://www.konrad.ws/terroristAttackOnAmerica_infoAndDisasterReliefResources.htm

>TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

SLao

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience the convenience of buying online with Shop(at)Netscape! http://shopnow.netscape.com/