Re: PGSQL ERROR: FATAL: terminating connection due to administrator command

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "pobox(at)verysmall(dot)org" <pobox(at)verysmall(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PGSQL ERROR: FATAL: terminating connection due to administrator command
Date: 2008-02-04 18:02:35
Lists: pgsql-general

"pobox(at)verysmall(dot)org" <pobox(at)verysmall(dot)org> writes:
> I have a PostgreSQL 8.2.6 on FreeBSD 6.3 (but the described behavior
> appears during several earlier minor versions as well) - which powers a
> php based web application. What I experience is the message (below)
> which appears during the first 5-7 clicks after the database has been
> cleanly imported (dropped and imported) -

> PGSQL ERROR: FATAL: terminating connection due to administrator command

This means that something sent the server process a SIGTERM signal.

One way that could happen is if the postmaster gets sent a SIGINT
(it will SIGTERM all its children and then quit). However, if you
are able to reconnect to the database afterwards, then that's
not what's happening because the postmaster must still be there.

You need to trawl around for some mechanism within your system that
might be SIGTERM'ing server processes. I've heard of systems that
do this when a process exceeds some ulimit setting (though I didn't
think FreeBSD was one). Also, if you are starting the postmaster
from a terminal window rather than a system init script, you should
check into the possibility that actions such as closing the terminal
window are causing it.