Re: Several tags around PostgreSQL 7.1 broken

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Several tags around PostgreSQL 7.1 broken
Date: 2008-04-02 16:54:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> I believe we moved to using cvs export many years after 7.1.  Before
>> that, the releases were made straight out of a cvs checkout.  With
>> cvs export it is of course nearly impossible to create such a mess.

> Hmm, if we use a CVS export, why do we have, on "make distdir", the
> business to remove CVS files?

Leftover from the old way, no doubt.

I have a vague recollection that the rest of core pressed Marc to start
using "cvs export" precisely because we were worried about, or actually
had seen, inconsistencies between the tagging and the tarballs.  It
might be that what Peter has noticed was exactly what prompted that,
and we never attempted to clean it up.  But it was a long time ago
and I'm not sure about it.