Re: silent data loss with ext4 / all current versions

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: silent data loss with ext4 / all current versions
Date: 2015-12-01 22:05:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Attached is v2 of the patch, that

(a) adds explicit fsync on the parent directory after all the rename()
calls in timeline.c, xlog.c, xlogarchive.c and pgarch.c

(b) adds START/END_CRIT_SECTION around the new fsync_fname calls
(except for those in timeline.c, as the START/END_CRIT_SECTION is
not available there)

The patch is fairly trivial and I've done some rudimentary testing, but
I'm sure I haven't exercised all the modified paths.

regards
Tomas

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com