Re: PUG Listing?

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jonathan(dot)katz(at)excoventures(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PUG Listing?
Date: 2012-10-10 18:34:16
Lists: pgsql-www
On Oct 10, 2012, at 2:21 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> WWW,
>
> Since pugs.postgresql.org is long gone, I'd like to have a page on
> www.postgresql.org which just lists the user groups like this:
>
> region
> country
> area
> PUG
> web page
> mailing list
>
> e.g.:
> Americas
> USA
> San Francisco
> SFPUG
> http://www.meetup.com/postgresql-1/
> http://archives.postgresql.org/sfpug/
>
> This seems like a good job for a basic Django app, editable through
> Admin.  There's low churn on the data, so it shouldn't be much trouble
> to maintain.  If people approve of
> this idea, I'll start tinkering with it on a fork.
>
> It would also be a reasonable thing for the wiki, EXCEPT that our wiki
> pages have a Google search rank of approximately zero, so putting
> anything like this on the wiki is a guarantee that nobody looking for it
> will find it.

+1 for having this list on the site

If we go the website route, Selena and I had started code for the new site pugs site, perhaps some of this code could be reused: http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgpugs.git;a=summary

I'm not sure if this is possible with the wiki, but an alternative idea is we do use a wiki page, but have the output embedded onto the main postgres webiste.  Or possibly have a link off of the main postgres website e.g. http://www.postgressql.org/community/pugs that does a permanent redirect to the wiki.

Jonathan