Re: "mirroring" a table - PostgreSQL 7.3.2

From: "C(dot) Bensend" <benny(at)bennyvision(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "mirroring" a table - PostgreSQL 7.3.2
Date: 2004-01-24 21:21:38
Lists: pgsql-admin
> Possibly you could get the effect you want by making one a child of the
> other.  Read up on inheritance.  There are some side-effects you'd
> probably *not* want, so this isn't a perfect solution, but I can't think
> of anything else.

   Thanks for the quick reply, Tom.  I appreciate that.

   I've looked at this, and it seems to be on the same level as a quick
DROP/CREATE.  Is there no way to "mirror" a table structure in real time?

CREATE TABLE test_bob AS ( SELECT * FROM bob WHERE '1' = '2' );

   .. appears to also do what I want, but I'd like to be able to do this
without DROP/CREATE (just because I'm anal, no other real reason).  :)

Thoughts?

Benny

--
"Have you ever tried simply turning off the TV, sitting down with your
children, and hitting them?"                   -- Bender, "Futurama"