Re: starting up LAPUG

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: noelp(at)calpacs(dot)org
Cc: Los Angeles PostgreSQL Users Group <lapug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: starting up LAPUG
Date: 2007-12-18 23:21:01
Lists: lapug

--- On Tue, 12/18/07, noelp(at)calpacs(dot)org <noelp(at)calpacs(dot)org> wrote:

> I subscribed to the list once upon a time.. Was there ever
> an LAPUG?

Not that I know of. But for a little back-ground, last year Josh Berkus hosted a booth at the SCALE 07 FOSS convention last year. One of the side goals was to "restart" LAPUG. Some of the other attendees seemed to show interest in participating in getting a group started. However, not much happened after that.

I am trying to pre-plan for an initiative to (re)start LAPUG from the PostgreSQL booth during the up and coming SCALE 08.

I am going to print up fliers to encourage attendance. I will be distributing this at the SCALE and possible some universities and colleges in and around LA. I would like to have the first meeting about two weeks after the SCALE convention.

However, I have yet to find a location, find a time, or decide upon meeting content. However, I did get some good advice from Selena Deckelmann on this thread:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-advocacy/2007-12/msg00054.php

> I would be delighted to get involved in a Postgres user
> group. I have a couple of colleges that may be interested as well.

This is really good to know. I would certainly be happy get any ideas, input, or help that you could offer.

> I live in Long Beach but work in Garden Grove. I work for
> the City of Garden Grove.

I actually work in Long Beach also. I work near the 710/405 junction. Maybe if we choose to have PUG meetings on weekday evening, it shoulds like a location near us would work well. :-)

I could possible work out an arrangement with my company for the use of their facilities after work hours. The only problem that concerns me is the location since it is more of an industrial area with few nice restaurants. I would prefer choose a are with good ambiance similar to what DownTown Long Beach has near the Convention Center (but with better parking ;) ).

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.