Re: forcing SSL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: hehe88hk(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)hk (Eric)
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: forcing SSL
Date: 2004-02-15 05:26:59
Lists: pgsql-admin

hehe88hk(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)hk (Eric) writes:
> In order to ensure all user are making SSL connection to the database,
> in the file pg_hba.conf, I change all the first columns into "hostssl"
> such that there is neither "host" nor "local" left.

> However, when I try to use a program written in Tcl to access the
> database, even without the option "requiressl=1" for "pg_connect", the
> program can still make connection to the database.

Is this a local-Unix-socket connection? We don't bother with SSL on
such connections. There's no point --- the only way to eavesdrop on
a local connection is to have broken into your kernel, at which point
it's game over anyway.

regards, tom lane

PS: it also occurs to me you might have forgotten to SIGHUP the
postmaster after editing pg_hba.conf...