Re: Server hitting 100% CPU usage, system comes to a crawl.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Brian Fehrle <brianf(at)consistentstate(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Server hitting 100% CPU usage, system comes to a crawl.
Date: 2011-10-27 20:50:36
Lists: pgsql-general

Brian Fehrle <brianf(at)consistentstate(dot)com> writes:
> Hi all, need some help/clues on tracking down a performance issue.
> PostgreSQL version: 8.3.11

> I've got a system that has 32 cores and 128 gigs of ram. We have
> connection pooling set up, with about 100 - 200 persistent connections
> open to the database. Our applications then use these connections to
> query the database constantly, but when a connection isn't currently
> executing a query, it's <IDLE>. On average, at any given time, there are
> 3 - 6 connections that are actually executing a query, while the rest
> are <IDLE>.

> About once a day, queries that normally take just a few seconds slow way
> down, and start to pile up, to the point where instead of just having
> 3-6 queries running at any given time, we get 100 - 200. The whole
> system comes to a crawl, and looking at top, the CPU usage is 99%.

This is jumping to a conclusion based on insufficient data, but what you
describe sounds a bit like the sinval queue contention problems that we
fixed in 8.4. Some prior reports of that:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2008-01/msg00001.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2010-06/msg00452.php

If your symptoms match those, the best fix would be to update to 8.4.x
or later, but a stopgap solution would be to cut down on the number of
idle backends.