Re: Bad copy-n-paste on character conversion fix - how

From: "C(dot) Bensend" <benny(at)bennyvision(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bad copy-n-paste on character conversion fix - how
Date: 2005-05-03 01:58:32
Lists: pgsql-admin
> Always a good idea to do this kind of thing inside a BEGIN block ;-)

Yeah.  That was the _second_ thing that came to mind.  ;)

> As far as the system functions are concerned, you can just set the
> proacl column to NULL (ie, default) and that'll be fine for everything
> except the character conversion functions.

So, just to be sure:

1)  Start a %(&@#*(&% transaction
2)  Set the column to NULL for all rows, undoing my stupidity
3)  Issue the CORRECT SQL statement, and that will take care of the
    character conversion problem
4)  COMMIT said transaction after verifying that I'm not doing
    something stupid _again_

Is this correct?

> As far as user-defined functions are concerned, NULL probably works for
> most of them too, but you would want to consult a recent backup to see
> if any were not like that.

Happily, I am a novice at this, and I do not have any user-defined
functions.  Very simple database.  :)

Thank you so much!

Benny

--
"You come from a long line of scary women."     -- Ranger, "Three To
                                                   Get Deadly"