Re: Advice on RAID card

From: Ron Peacetree <rjpeace(at)earthlink(dot)net>
To: PFC <lists(at)boutiquenumerique(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Advice on RAID card
Date: 2005-09-24 15:55:53
Lists: pgsql-performance

It looks like a rebranded low end Adaptec 64MB PCI-X <-> SATA RAID card.
Looks like the 64MB buffer is not upgradable.
Looks like it's SATA, not SATA II

There are much better ways to spend your money.

These are the products with the current best price/performance ratio:
http://www.areca.us/products/html/pcix-sata.htm

Assuming you are not building 1U boxes, get one of the full height
cards and order it with the maximum size buffer you can afford.
The cards take 1 SODIMM, so that will be a max of 1GB or 2GB
depending on whether 2GB SODIMMs are available to you yet.

Ron