Re: [HACKERS] libpgtcl and Tcl 8.0

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Horak Daniel <horak(at)mmp(dot)plzen-city(dot)cz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] libpgtcl and Tcl 8.0
Date: 1998-08-28 14:05:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Horak Daniel <horak(at)mmp(dot)plzen-city(dot)cz> writes:
> [I wrote]
>> Say, do you know whether the 6.3.2 Postgres release worked OK with
>> Tcl 8? If so, it might just be that pgtclId.h needs to set
>> HAVE_TCL_GETFILEPROC to 0 for Tcl 8.
> I have tried this, but doesn't work. In current libpgtcl there are used
> functions Tcl_GetFile, Tcl_WatchFile, Tcl_FileReady. These aren't
> defined in Tcl 8.0 C interface.

Grumble. So they redid the I/O interfaces (again).

This means that the current libpgtcl is broken under Tcl 8, which is not
good ... especially since 6.3.2's wasn't; it didn't use these functions,
because it didn't support asynchronous NOTIFY.

I will put this on my TODO list --- it won't get done before 1 Sept, but
hopefully this qualifies as a bug fix that I can sneak in before 6.4
release ;-)

As a short-term workaround you should be able to run under Tcl 8 by
doing the following:
1. Fix pgtclId.h so that HAVE_TCL_GETFILEPROC is set to 0 for Tcl 8.
2. In pgtclId.c, make Pg_Notify_SetupProc be an empty function
(just delete all the contents);
3. and in Pg_Notify_CheckProc, delete the calls to Tcl_GetFile and
Tcl_FileReady (make the call to PQconsumeInput unconditional).

This should more or less work, except that Tcl won't notice an
asynchronous NOTIFY message until something else happens (like
a keystroke or mouse movement).