Re: BUG #4879: bgwriter fails to fsync the file in recovery mode

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4879: bgwriter fails to fsync the file in recovery mode
Date: 2009-06-25 21:11:02
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> So, yes, there are some places where InRecovery is used in code executed
> by the bgwriter, but the correct fix is to use RecoveryIsInProgress().

Agreed, but this gets us no closer to solving the real problem, which is
that when we perform the end-of-recovery checkpoint, we need to act like
we are *not* in recovery anymore, for at least some purposes. Most
notably, to allow us to write a WAL entry at all; but I am suspicious
that pretty much every InRecovery/RecoveryIsInProgress test that that
checkpoint might execute should behave as if we're not in recovery.