What happens when PostgreSQL fails to log to SYSLOG

From: "Arnold, Sandra" <ArnoldS(at)osti(dot)gov>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: What happens when PostgreSQL fails to log to SYSLOG
Date: 2012-07-10 20:08:59
Lists: pgsql-admin
I am trying to find out what PostgreSQL does when it cannot write to its SYSLOG file, whether it is permissions or the file system where the log resides is full is the problem.  Does PostgreSQL stall, does it rollback the transaction it cannot log to the SYSLOG, or does it continue on as if there is not an issue?  I am writing Security controls and since I am using the SYSLOG for auditing purposes and I need to document what happens in case there was a failure in writing to the SYSLOG.  For instance, Oracle rollbacks any transactions that are being audited it cannot write to its audit logs.  Just want to know what PostgreSQL does.

Thanks,

Sandra Arnold
Senior Database Administrator
Contractor to DOE/OSTI
Information International Associates (IIA)
Oak Ridge, TN
(865) 576-0054 (work)
(865) 567-7553 (cell)
arnolds(at)osti(dot)gov<mailto:arnolds(at)osti(dot)gov>

pgsql-admin by date

Previous:From: raghu ramDate: 2012-07-10 11:49:26
Subject: Re: fail over postgres configuration