Re: COPY and views

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Neil Conway <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: COPY and views
Date: 2002-05-26 15:37:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Neil Conway <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org> writes:
> I can understand not allowing COPY FROM to target a view
> (or at least, a view without an insertion rule defined) --
> but is there a similar reason for disallowing copying data
> out of a view?

Allowing either would take COPY out of the realm of utility statements
and into the realm of plannable queries --- in particular, COPY from a
view would have to have full SELECT capability, with only a slightly
different user interface for delivering the tuples.

This would not necessarily be a bad idea ... but it would be a major
rewrite of COPY.