Re: Postgres configuration for 64 CPUs, 128 GB RAM...

From: Dimitri <dimitrik(dot)fr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Luke Lonergan" <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
Cc: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Marc Mamin" <M(dot)Mamin(at)intershop(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Postgres configuration for 64 CPUs, 128 GB RAM...
Date: 2007-07-30 21:26:03
Lists: pgsql-performance

Luke,

ZFS tuning is not coming from general suggestion ideas, but from real
practice...

So,
- limit ARC is the MUST for the moment to keep your database running
comfortable (specially DWH!)
- 8K blocksize is chosen to read exactly one page when PG ask to
read one page - don't mix it with prefetch! when prefetch is detected,
ZFS will read next blocks without any demand from PG; but otherwise
why you need to read more pages each time PG asking only one?...
- prefetch of course not needed for OLTP, but helps on OLAP/DWH, agree :)

Rgds,
-Dimitri