Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] Weird new time zone

From: "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] Weird new time zone
Date: 2004-07-16 06:38:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

No problems. They even handle time zones with arbitrary minute
boundaries (not on the hour) with aplomb.

> Over-simplistic answers are not what we need here. The data
> structure you quote cannot even tell what DST transition
> dates Windows thinks are in effect this year, let alone what
> it thinks the dates were in past years.

Yes, there are other calls for that, obviously. I sent to Mr. Momjian a
complete implementation of time zone stuff that uses Windows calls.
It's also accurate to a fraction of a nanosecond millions of years into
the past and the future.

The call that I showed returns the NAME OF THE TIME ZONE and also what
it is called when you are in Daylight savings time. I thought the issue
under question was to find out what the time zone was.

This program:

#include <windows.h>
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main(void)
{
TIME_ZONE_INFORMATION tz;
DWORD i = GetTimeZoneInformation(&tz);
for (i = 0; i < 32 && tz.StandardName[i]; i++)
cout << (TCHAR) tz.StandardName[i];
cout << endl;
for (i = 0; i < 32 && tz.DaylightName[i]; i++)
cout << (TCHAR) tz.DaylightName[i];
cout << endl;
return 0;
}

Prints this:
Pacific Standard Time
Pacific Daylight Time

There is also a global variable called _tzname that contains the name of
the time zone.
See:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vclib/h
tml/_crt__daylight.2c_._timezone.2c_.and__tzname.asp

On my machine:
cout << _tzname[0]; // -> PST
cout << _tzname[1]; // -> PDT

As far as doing the calculations for time values, do whatever you like
(it's not that difficult either, and the code I send does address all
that stuff, though it is in C++). Don't forget that things are inverted
in the southern hemisphere.

Have a good one.