Re: Aggregate

From: David Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Aggregate
Date: 2003-03-04 03:35:22
Lists: sfpug
On Monday, March 3, 2003, at 01:33  PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Try this:
>
>           SELECT DISTINCT a.id
>           FROM   site a, member m, site_member c, member m3, member m4,
>                  site_member c3, user_member um,
>                  grp_priv__grp_member gm
>           WHERE  a.id = c.object_id
>                  AND c.member__id    = m.id
>                  AND m.active        = 1
>                  AND a.id            = c3.object_id
>                  AND c3.member__id   = m3.id
>                  AND m3.active       = 1
>                  AND m3.grp__id      = gm.grp__id
>                  AND gm.grp_priv__id = gp.id
>                  AND gp.value        < 4
>                  AND gp.grp__id      = m4.grp__id
>                  AND m4.id           = um.member__id
>                  AND um.object_id    = 1
>                  AND NOT EXISTS ( select id from grp_priv gp4
> 			WHERE  gm.grp_priv__id = gp4.id
> 				 AND gp4.value        =  4)
>           ORDER BY a.id
>
> ... though I'm a little baffled by your join structure, so I'm not
> sure the
> crieteria in the EXISTS clause are right.

Naw, that didn't work. I thin that the subquery will have to link all
those tables *again*. :-(

> You should also  make sure that your GEQO threshold on your server is
> set
> higher than the default.  I usually set mine to 24.

Say what? Sounds like something I should add to Bric::DBA, eh?

   http://bricolage.cc/docs/Bric/DBA.html

Regards,

David

david(at)kineticode(dot)com                              ICQ: 15726394
                                                Yahoo!: dew7e
                                                Jabber: Theory(at)jabber(dot)org