Re: sql.sgml

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: sql.sgml
Date: 2004-08-14 16:25:55
Lists: pgsql-docs
Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com> writes:
> Looking through the documentation source, I came across sql.sgml, a
> section that covers relational theory and SQL. It's no longer compiled
> with the docs, afaics, and hasn't been since 7.1.

I am not totally sure why we stopped including that, but I seem to
recall that we couldn't get all the mathematical notation to convert
to DocBook nicely.  I also misdoubt that the math wouldn't scare off
the people who need it most.

I agree that a little bit of basic theory might go well as a chapter in
the tutorial ... but whether this is a good starting point is another
question.