Re: GUC with units, details

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)seespotcode(dot)net>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, "Bort, Paul" <pbort(at)tmwsystems(dot)com>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GUC with units, details
Date: 2006-07-27 12:25:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Peter's not said exactly how he plans to deal with
>> this, but I suppose it'll round off one way or the other ...

> It'll get truncated by integer division.  I wouldn't mind if someone
> proposed a patch to create a warning or error in this case, but I
> wanted to keep the initial version simple.

I'd recommend against that.  Apple recently changed OS X so that
it rejects SHMMAX settings that aren't an exact multiple of
something-or-other, and I've found that to be a *serious* PITA.
Of course part of the problem is that there's no helpful message,
but it's still a big loss from a usability standpoint, and quite
unnecessary (every other Unix seems willing to round off...)

One thought is that maybe we should round up not down?  I'm having
a hard time making a specific case either way, though.