Re: Postgres filling up hard drive with swap files

From: Joe Lester <joe_lester(at)sweetwater(dot)com>
To: postgres list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>,Bill Moran <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Postgres filling up hard drive with swap files
Date: 2004-08-20 19:30:00
Lists: pgsql-general
> If these clients aren't utilizing the database, it might be worthwhile
> to have them disconnect after a period of inactivity, and reconnect
> when
> things get busy again.

That's a good idea, except in the future, all the clients will be
active most of the time. So, I'd like to get the server to the point
where it can handle 150-200 client connections gracefully.

> I would expect that if you ignore it for a while, eventually it will
> reach an equalibrium.  (where it's not increasing the amount of swap in
> use) but it will always hurt performance any time is has to page in or
> out.

Unfortunately, it does not reach an equilibrium. It just keeps eating
disk space until it's all gone.

> Please don't wrap machine-generated output ... it makes it VERY
> difficult
> to understand.

Please forgive me. What do you mean by "wrap machine-generated output".
I would love to oblige.