Re: Sleep functions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sleep functions
Date: 2005-08-22 01:13:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org> writes:
> What do people think of exposing pg_usleep() to the user?

I'm not real enthused about it. Generally speaking, a sleep() on the
database side means you are idling while holding locks, and that does
not seem like something we want to encourage people to do.

As other responders noted, it's trivial to program this in any of the
untrusted PL languages, So what you're really proposing is that we give
sleep() to non-superusers, and that seems like a bit of a hard sell.
Let's see a use-case or three.