Re: msaccess to postgre

From: "Obe, Regina" <robe(dot)dnd(at)cityofboston(dot)gov>
To: "Peter Jackson" <tasmaniac(at)iprimus(dot)com(dot)au>, "pgsql" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: msaccess to postgre
Date: 2008-01-15 13:54:47
Lists: pgsql-novice

Peter,

Usually the search paths by default are set as $user, public. Postgres
puts tables in the first schema in search path (if it exists) and then
tries the next if the previous does not exist, if no schema
qualification.

So to force Access to put tables in a certain schema, one way to do it
is to create an account with the same name as the schema - e.g. create
an account called accounts and log in as that and export all your
accounts tables etc..

I'm really not quite sure why your approach puts it in the public always
unless your search path settings were not saved (did you restart/reload
config of your postgresql server after setting search paths?)

As far as moving tables from public to another schema. There is no
intuitive way I know of doing this.
Check out the link below. From my simple tests, this stored function
seems to work fairly well for moving tables and their indexes from one
schema to another. PostgreSQL by the way also seems to automatically
correct the views and inheritance affected to.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-sql/2003-12/msg00081.php

Hope that helps,
Regina