Re: absolute novice wanting knowledgeable opinion about front end

From: "Obe, Regina" <robe(dot)dnd(at)cityofboston(dot)gov>
To: "Phil" <philbaseless-postgres(at)yahoo(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: absolute novice wanting knowledgeable opinion about front end
Date: 2008-10-01 01:05:25
Lists: pgsql-novice

There is another product people have been talking about that is a possible replacement for Access. I think its a commercial product. Can't remember what the name of it is. If it comes to me I'll let you know.

OpenOffice OOBase, has some nice features like the relational design window, basic reports, a knockoff of visual basic for doing macro functions, but it still needs a little bit more work to compete with MS Access advanced features. I would say in a year or so I would start thinking about it seriously as an alternative for high-end MS Access apps as well. For simple apps, I think it works fine as a front end to PostgreSQL.

I basically use it as an ADP (Access project) for postgresql since it connects in much the same way as MS Access projects connect to SQL Server.