Re: Step 1 with Visual Basic

From: "Obe, Regina" <robe(dot)dnd(at)cityofboston(dot)gov>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Step 1 with Visual Basic
Date: 2008-06-17 18:21:12
Lists: pgsql-novice

Gary,

Are you using VB6 or VBA. VBA is the flavor of Visual Basic that is built in MS Access and other office applications and is of the VB6 lineage. VB6 is the stand alone environment built for doing stand alone applications. My understanding is that Microsoft has deprecated VB6 and for example one of my friends who really liked VB6 switched to PowerBasic (or is it RealBasic) because of that fact. If that is the case and you are starting off, you would be better off going with VB.NET. VB.NET is unfortunately not quite as easy to learn as VB6, but I tend to like it more tha VB6 since it provides stricter framework for designing apps.

If you are a complete newbie to databases and reporting, I would suggest starting off with something like MS Access which already has a report writer (and quite a good one I must say) built in. For that all you will need is the ODBC driver for Postgresql and link all your tables in. MS Access is actually the way I got started with relational databases and reporting because you can use the designer to build a query and then look at the SQL source to see how it formed the SQL and its got wizards galore to get you started and you can export tables and to other databases or link to all sorts of databases. Once you feel comfortable with that then things like Crystal Reports, Active Reports, SQL etc are a lot less threatening looking.

Hope that helps,
Regina