HINT: pg_hba.conf changed since last config reload

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: HINT: pg_hba.conf changed since last config reload
Date: 2014-08-10 11:48:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all

I just had an idea I wanted to run by you all before turning it into a
patch.

People seem to get confused when they get auth errors because they
changed pg_hba.conf but didn't reload.

Should we emit a HINT alongside the main auth error in that case?

Given the amount of confusion that I see around pg_hba.conf from new
users, I figure anything that makes it less confusing might be a good
thing if there aren't other consequences.

Interested in a patch?