Conversion to PostgreSQL from ArcSDE

From: Tyler Barns <tyler(dot)tmb30(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Conversion to PostgreSQL from ArcSDE
Date: 2009-07-15 22:21:33
Lists: pdxpug
Group,

First, I would like to introduce myself.  My name is Tyler Barns and I am an
Environmental Science graduate student at Oregon State University.
Currently I am a student intern with the Oregon Explorer (
www.oregonexplorer.info).  I am new to the world of Open Source GIS and
would like to know more about PostgreSQL.  I've read some of the online
documents and feel that Open Source GIS is where I need to be headed.
Second, I am researching how to move data housed in ArcSDE to PostgreSQL and
what Open Source applications are being used as substitutes for ArcMap.  I
would appreciate any feedback on the questions I have listed below.  Thank
you for your time and effort.

   1. Is PostgreSQL a comparable open source GIS server to ArcSDE?
   2. What is the process to convert services from ArcSDE to PostgreSQL?
      1. Are there any complications we should know about?
      2. Any shortcuts?
   3. What are your opinions on GeoServer?
   4. Which open source GIS application would you recommend and why?
   5. What are some benefits to open source servers and applications besides
   costs?
   6. Is there any advice you may have to transition/implement open source
   GIS more smoothly?

Regards,

Tyler Barns

pdxpug by date

Next:From: Webb SpragueDate: 2009-07-17 15:12:25