Re: More message encoding woes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: More message encoding woes
Date: 2009-03-31 19:59:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Maybe use a special string "Translate Me First" that
>> doesn't actually need to be end-user-visible, just so no one sweats over
>> getting it right in context.

> Yep, something like that. There seems to be a magic empty string
> translation at the beginning of every po file that returns the
> meta-information about the translation, like translation author and
> date. Assuming that works reliably, I'll use that.

At first that sounded like an ideal answer, but I can see a gotcha:
suppose the translation's author's name contains some characters that
don't convert to the database encoding.  I suppose that would result in
failure, when we'd prefer it not to.  A single-purpose string could be
documented as "whatever you translate this to should be pure ASCII,
never mind if it's sensible".