Re: Concurrent COPY commands

From: "Phillip Sitbon" <phillip(at)sitbon(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Concurrent COPY commands
Date: 2008-07-09 17:07:13
Lists: pgsql-novice

> Define low. 2 disks maxed out doing random I/O could show as little as 2
or
> 3 MB/sec in vmstat.

While the copy commands are not at 100% CPU it is about that low. It does go
up at times, but not by much (maybe 5-7 MB/sec). Does a COPY command count
as random I/O if the data it's reading is actually a memory FIFO and it's
only reading data in for the current (not completed) transaction? The disks
are completely dedicated to the database, so postgres is the only app using
it.

> You say one CPU core is maxed out - what state is it mostly in at 100% -
> user, system, or wait?

I'll double-check, but I'm certain that it was user. The behavior didn't
seem to change when I changed the table layout either.

- Phillip