Re: missing history file

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "George Wilk" <gwilk(at)ellacoya(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: missing history file
Date: 2007-06-29 16:47:59
Lists: pgsql-admin
"George Wilk" <gwilk(at)ellacoya(dot)com> writes:
> When and by what process is the history file being created?  My standby
> server seems to be looking for it when put back in the recovery mode, after
> functioning as primary for a while.
> How should I handle missing history file in my script?

History files are only created when you do a PITR recovery that stops
short of the end of WAL (ie, you gave it an explicit stopping point
criterion).  So basically they never appear except by manual
intervention on the primary server.  A standby script should probably
handle requests for them by looking to see if they're available, and
returning 'em if so, but not waiting if they are not.

Offhand I would recommend the same strategy for any requested filename
that's not a plain WAL segment file (ie, all hex digits).