Re: Example is too wide

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Example is too wide
Date: 2001-11-07 17:48:25
Lists: pgsql-docs
> Tom Lane writes:
>> It's going to be difficult to produce any 80-col-wide examples of any
>> of the interesting columns in pg_stats.  How do you feel about
>> artificially line-breaking the printout?

> I tried the example query on the tenk1 table and got a pretty good output.
> Not only is it only 120 columns, which makes it fit really well into the
> HTML browser window (mine anyway), it also contains more diverse rows
> which can serve the example, e.g., output for unique columns, and a few
> interesting n_distinct values.  I'm tempted to use that one instead.

Well, the thing is that tenk1 is completely artificial data, so the
stats it produces are a tad on the meaningless/uninteresting side.
AFAICT the "road" table is the only realistic sample data we have in
the distribution.

However, I won't argue the point too hard.  If the tenk1 example works
from a formatting point of view, go with it.