Re: Problem with PITR recovery

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Rob Butler <crodster2k(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jeff Davis <jdavis-pgsql(at)empires(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem with PITR recovery
Date: 2005-04-18 23:21:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The wal file could be truncated after the log switch record, though I'd
> want to make sure that didn't cause other problems.

Which it would: that would break WAL file recycling.

> That would be initiated through a single function pg_walfile_switch()
> which would be called from
> 1) pg_stop_backup()
> 2) by user command
> 3) at a specified timeout within archiver (already built in)

I would really, really, like NOT to have a user command for this.
(If pg_stop_backup does it, that already provides an out for anyone
who thinks they need to invoke it manually.)

> A shutdown checkpoint would also have the same effect as an
> XLOG_FILE_SWITCH instruction, so that the archiver would be able to copy
> away the file.

The archiver is stopped before we do the shutdown, no?

> I'd suggest this as a backpatch for 8.0.x, when completed.

Not a chance --- it's a new feature, not a bug fix, and has substantial
risk of breaking things.