Re: .cvsignore update...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Sean Chittenden <sean(at)chittenden(dot)org>,PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: .cvsignore update...
Date: 2004-05-27 01:47:27
Lists: pgsql-patches
Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
>> If you like to live dangerously and not make distclean before you cvs
>> update, then use a vpath build (separate build tree).  There's no reason
>> to have to maintain a large set of .cvsignore files.

> How does one do a vpatch build?  (I live dangerously)

Say your CVS checkout is in ~/pgsql, and you make a build directory
at ~/build.  You go
	cd ~/build
	../pgsql/configure [args as usual]
	make
	make install
	...etc...

This touches no files under ~/pgsql, except for possibly updating the
architecture-independent derived files (gram.c and so forth).  The
original intent of the feature, I think, was to simplify building for
multiple architectures.